Friday, October 8, 2010


I tried to write an entry, but how do you possibly capture 4 months of readjustment in a few paragraphs?  That may be why most of my earlier entries were 2 sentences long.  But I figured a way to explain it:  

Top Ten things that happened to me in the last 4 months
  1. I made a new best friend  - Mai See, who distracted me from dwelling on more negative emotions
  2. I made a poor choice in attending grad school 1.5 days after landing in the USA, but I’m starting to finally adjust
  3. I went swimming at midnight in a pool overlooking the city
  4. I became a city bicycler, I even wear a helmet
  5. I have really embraced my love for alcohol, even if it’s only once a week that I have time to enjoy it
  6. My mother has become very concerned as I am now the oldest old maid in our extended family
  7. I bought a Macbook which I still mostly hate, but am starting to grudgingly accept
  8. I’ve started to find agroecology one of the most fascinating things ever
  9. Two of my sisters got married and knocked up
  10. Crunk music circa 2005 is a top playlist on my computer
  11. I am still not reconciled to the prospect that winter is forthcoming
  12. I am still hesitant to like the Twin Cities given my NYC intentions, but my heart is definitely Wisconsiny
  13. Pandora is currently on my “God Bless the USA” station that is mostly country songs about our troops, America, some golden wheat grass rustling in the Midwest
  14. I am constantly suffering from imposter syndrome in grad school, but I am constantly not letting that stop me
  15. I bought a cute winter jacket, my friend disapproved, as the sleeves were only ¾ length
  16. I live in an apartment with 3 other women, it’s about the same size as my former Guatemalan house where I lived by myself.
  17. I had to make a special filter for PC email because “Peace Corps Response” was always tempting me with offers to leave the country
  18. I can feel my brain expanding
  19. My cohort of Development Practice grad students are all pretty amazing
  20. I’m doing okay.  

1 comment:

  1. I was going to tell you...you may want to twitter instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete